Wake up, Mother Earth: 8 ideas to celebrate Imbolc
It might feel like the world has come to a halt right now, but the earth is waking up. Winter is halfway done. It’s hard to believe it with the weather (we’re living in our Luna jumpers right now), but the sun is getting stronger. And so are our psyches. Today, up until tomorrow evening, marks Imbolc - another turn in the Wheel of the Year. Halle-freakin-lujah.
So, what’s Imbolc mean for us?
It’s all about new beginnings. Light in the darkness. Seeds edging ever closer to the soil ready for spring equinox. Also known as Candlemas, Imbolc is a time of cleansing and purification. Symbolically, it’s a time to honour the Triple Goddess (Maiden - Mother - Crone) in her maiden aspect. The goddess’s three aspects stand for Enchantment, Ripeness and Wisdom. Which means this is a time to re-enchant ourselves. Like the young maiden, we’re at the beginning of the wheel. We’re full of dreams, hopes, plans… re-enchanted towards a brighter future.
How to celebrate Imbolc
Magick doesn’t have to be complicated. All it is, is the power of your thought. If you’re a lone witch, or simply crave a little self-discovery, try these calming rituals to celebrate Imbolc.
- Start your spring cleaning. Shed yourself of old, unwanted books, clothing, ornaments… all to make way for the new
- Bring signs of spring into your home. Fresh snowdrops, white feathers, stones to use for your circles, candles to welcome back the sun god.
- Perform a simple candle spell. Here’s how to perform the Festival of the First Stirrings of the Light:
1) Gather three candles to signify your three dreams or hopes for the future.
2) Place the candles around your room, then light the first candle.
3) Next, light the second and third candle from the fire of the first candle you lit.
4) The spell is cast. Whatever your candles symbolise (one might be for the world, the second might be for a loved one, the third might be for a new venture), you’ve successfully altered your own conscious state towards new possibilities.
- Take time out to think. Dream and ponder on everything that’s not serving you: unwanted thoughts, stressful memories, toxic relationships... let them melt away like snow in sunlight.
- Plant a magickal herb garden. Now is the best time to begin planting seeds, ready to emerge from the soil in the spring equinox.
- Feed your brain. Now more than ever, the magick that enchants us can be found in the books we read, the films we enjoy, the art we buy, or the clothes we wear - all vessels of creativity and catharsis. Time to experiment and explore new ways, new possibilities, and new ideas.
- Feed your body. Synchronise with this Sabbat by munching on seeds, spring vegetables and seasonal fruits. This is also a permission slip to load up on pancakes, muffins, waffles, scones, breads, and other baked delights. Herbs such as witch hazel, lemongrass, camomile and cinnamon are fresh right now - try them in teas.
- Cleanse with incense. Imbolc time is perfect time for incense, especially myrrh, vanilla, carnation, basil, bay and other spring flower scents. We’ll be re-enchanting ourselves with handmade juniper, myrrh and amber incense - Eir from Smells Like Smells.
Enjoy Imbolc - use it as a moment to reignite your energy, especially if you’ve lost focus in the dark months. Just remember, however stuck you feel in the moment, the wheel keeps on turning.